“What is your favorite thing about the Fourth of July in Mineral Point?” I ask my kids.
“The fireworks!” they say in unison.
But then I remind them of the parade and they say, “Oh yeah, the parade!”
“And how about the pool?”
“Yes, the night swim. With the music!” they reply.
With the number of events scheduled for Thursday, this game could go on for a while.
If you are looking for that quintessential small-town experience, celebrate America’s Day of Independence in Mineral Point. Here’s the line-up:
- The 32nd “Gettin’ the Lead Out” 2- and 5-mile run/walk starts at 8 a.m. Drop off your registration form at the Chamber of Commerce or register on race day by 7:30 a.m.
- Parade rolls down High Street, 11 a.m.
- Barbecue at Water Tower Park with music by Point Five, noon.
- Ball games and activities for the kids at Soldiers Memorial Park, all day.
- Pie and ice cream social at Soldiers, 6 p.m.
- City Band concert at Soldiers, 6:45 p.m.
- DOUBLE fireworks (because of last year’s drought cancellation), dusk.
- Night Swim at the pool. Cost is $3 per person (no passes), 9 p.m. – 11:30 p.m.
– Contributed by Susan Webb